A Letter from the President
I hope you are all staying cool today as I am writing this on a VERY hot and humid Sunday as my pup and I are still suffering from the most horrific allergies EVER! I am such a Winter guy. Anyway, our 2020-2021 Season ends on June 30th and the 2021-2022 Season starts on July 1st. Today we have a few very exciting announcements to share with you all.
1. My cardiologist called me fat so I bought a bike and started riding yesterday. I did indeed fall off the bike as I am sure some of you would have guessed… but I digress.
2. Yes, there will be a 2021 NJACT Perry Awards! This will be a virtual ceremony and probably much more casual than the 2020 presentation but we will let you know more about that this Fall. If your theater company did anything between April 1, 2020 and June 30, 2021 send your link to email@example.com or your DVD to NJACT 88 Wavecrest Ave. Winfield Park NJ 07036. All submissions must be received by July 31, 2021.
3. For the 2021 awards, all the regular categories will be included as is with the exception of the following- the outstanding play/musical category will be divided into a. Broadcast Performance (fully staged but filmed- no audience) b. Live Performance (performed in front of a live audience), c. Virtual Performance (Zoom, Skype etc. reading or performance).
4. Starting July 1, 2021 we will continue to schedule reviewers to attend performances in person. It is still strongly encouraged to make sure there are recordings in case your show does not get the 2 live reviewers scheduled. While it is the hope of NJACT to have the new reviewer scheduling website operational as soon as possible, for the time being we will be using the process explained in the NJACT Reviewers Facebook Group.
5. If you are a Theater representative, please send the Theater Name, Show Name, Show Dates and Show Times to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
6. Starting July 1, 2021 the Youth Actor/Actress Awards will be divided into Youth Lead, Youth Supporting and Youth Featured. These awards will be worked into the regular ceremony starting with the 2022 NJACT Perry Awards.
Well, that is about it for now. Enjoy the rest of your Summer, stay cool and stay safe!
Patrick J. Starega
President, New Jersey Association of Community Theaters
Information on our next event will be coming out soon! In the meantime, NJACT is accepting nominations for the following 2020-2021 awards: Community Theater Award, Lifetime Achievement Award, David P. McMenemie Award and Stage Management Award.
For all the rules and criteria please visit our to “Perry Awards” tab and click on which award you want to submit information. Please submit as soon as possible.
NJACT Perry Awards Virtual Ceremony Program
Click on the above link to access the virtual program for The Perry Awards 2020!
Getting to Know You with PJ Campacci
NJACT Perry Awards is pleased to debut “Getting to Know You with PJ Campacci” where our Vice President will interview member theaters to discuss a little about their experiences in NJ theater. Our inaugural episode features Deborah Bradshaw, Linda Scully and Patrick Ahearn of Rowan College of South Jersey.